Sunday, February 23, 2014

God is Restoring Childhood Dreams

When you were a child, what were some of the things you wanted to be when you grew up? A singer, a doctor, a writer or maybe even an artist?

I am being very serious about this. A lot of times we laugh about the silly things we dreamed about as a child, but the reality is is that those dreams are probably more true  to who we are called to be than what we could dream up today. As adults we have lost touch with child-likeness. We have gotten caught up in responsibility, bills, and work. I'm not saying be immature again, but dream like a little child again. Let yourself float away in the awesome awe and wonder of God. When you do, nothing will seem impossible to accomplish with Him at your side!

Growing Up
Somewhere along the path of growing up I fed into lies of what was really feasible to me. I made decisions based on fear. I remember thinking, what if people don’t like my singing? I guess I won’t do that. Someone told me I had to go to school forever if I wanted to be a doctor, it was really hard, and I’d have a lot of loans afterward. Again, fear steered me straight off that path.

In fourth grade, I decided I wanted to write children’s books. Who better to write children’s books then a 10-year-old. So I wrote a story about the tooth fairy and even illustrated it. Then I went and asked my teacher, Ms. Jokela, if I could put it in the school library. She said, “No, but you can put it in our classroom library.” That was good enough for me so I did. I don’t know that anyone read it, but then I soon heard that is was very difficult to get published and that writing books was hard. So I decided I wouldn’t try that either.

I bring all this up as examples of how lies in my childhood robbed me of what could have been mine. Now 20 years later, I feel like the Lord is restoring so many things that I had forgotten about. Prayers that I know I prayed when I was little are being fulfilled now.

Today's Dreams
In the last year-and-a-half, the Lord has been reminding me of all my childhood dreams, and He's even restoring them to me! For example, I've been playing the piano, painting and writing. Those things have always spoke to me as being unproductive. Then one day the Lord said in response to the piano playing, "Well, what if you play the piano as an act of worship to me? Then is it productive?" I was stunned, and it totally changed my perspective.  "Ummm, Yes, Lord I'll play for you." I said without another thought of why I shouldn't do that.

When I was a little girl my parents used to take my sisters and I to Heritage USA in Fort Mill, SC (Jim and Tammy Bakker's Christian theme park/resort). My mom said that I wanted to go there rather than Disney World. I don't remember, but I think I said a little prayer in my heart that I wanted to work there someday. Well, 20 plus years went by, the park shut down, life happened and now there is a new ministry inside the old Heritage Grand Hotel. I happened to get a job there 8 months ago when my husband and I moved. So everyday I walk down the halls and have such fond memories. I still can't believe I work there and my office is on Main Street inside the hotel!

In addition, I've been writing a lot. As many of you know, I just released a short ebook called "Close Your Eyes Dream." I'm also writing some children's fiction which has been my dream since 4th grade - though I'd totally forgotten!

Restoring Dreams
I believe the Lord is restoring dreams right now in my life and I believe He wants to do it in yours. It's the only way to walk out our destiny by remembering and moving forward in our call. I know I'm called to write and I love it. I've always been a writer, worked as one being somebody else's voice in my career. Now I have my own voice and I'm not totally sure what that all looks like, but I'm excited. The sky is the limit. The opportunities are endless with the Lord and I'm enjoying dreaming in this season with Him - or should I say Him reminding me of my childhood dreams and then giving them back to me.

What are some of your childhood dreams? I believe God wants to restore them to you! In fact, when I've shared this testimony several folks have said something stirred in them as well. They remembered their dreams. If that's you, let me know!






0 comments: